I've mentioned before how I love to make packing lists, and how said packing lists are very different now that we have a kid. Over the last few trips, I have finally figured out how not to overpack, and for our last two flying trips, we have brought only one suitcase, a carry on size. Before we left for Colorado last month, I took pictures of exactly what I packed so that I could remember for future reference. And since I LOVE reading about what other people pack, I thought I would share it here. (I actually do love reading about it, I wasn't being sarcastic. See some of my all time favorite packing posts here, here, and here.)
A few caveats:
• We did laundry once, which meant we didn't have to pack as much as we would have had to if we hadn't had access to laundry.
• We have a child who requires a car seat, and carseats check for free. If you use a zippered car seat bag, there is room in there with the seat to shove a package of diapers or a packing cube or both. We have never had a problem doing this, and we always put baby stuff in there. We also always have extra space in our backpacks that we could shove those into if someone got weird about it.
What you see in this picture is everything we brought! The orange packing cube peeking out of my duffel is the "diaper bag" and has diapers and wipes. Since Nash is out of the baby phase, we just needed that and some snacks. And I have a medium sized purse that easily fits in the duffel too.
(Basically everything but the backpack was gifted to us by my parents over various holidays. Thanks, Mom and Dad!)
• Vera Bradley Grand Traveler (the color I have isn't available anymore)
• REI Daypack (similar one here)
• Babies R Us Car Seat Bag (This one has fit both our infant car seat and the convertible one that he is in now, just not at the same time.)
And now, what we brought. The pics are self-explanatory... Because I put words on them.
So there you have it. One suitcase for the entire little family. We aren't packing experts, but we're getting better!